Friday, March 30, 2012

Micah's Birth Story

After experiencing labor with Madi and all the "joys" that go with it, Andy and I were both rather excited that this time we would schedule our C-section and have a definite day and definite plan for Micah's arrival. However, our little man had his own agenda! :)
On Thursday, March 22, I woke up at around 2 that morning with an upset stomach. Madi had a touch of the stomach bug earlier that week, so that was really what I thought I had. The nausea came in waves all day on Thursday, but by that evening, I was feeling a little better. However, I woke up Friday morning with the same feeling, but this time it was more cramping and was coming every 10-15 minutes. I woke Andy up about 3:30 and told him I thought I might be having contractions. After waiting it out until about 9:00 that morning, I decided to call the doctor's office and just see what the nurse said. (By the way, my doctor was gone on a spring break trip...aaahhh!)
I went in and was examined and monitored, but I hadn't made any progress and wasn't having real intense contractions. The nurse told me that I should make it until Monday for my c-section, so we headed home.
Friday turned out to be a really rough day. The contractions got stronger and stronger and closer together throughout the day, and by about 1:00 Saturday morning, I decided we needed to go in to labor and delivery to be checked out again. My contractions were about 3 minutes apart and very painful. After getting settled in l & d, they examined me and said I was only at a 1, so they would monitor me and see what happened. After about an hour, they reexamined me and I hadn't made any progress. The nurse said she would go call the doctor on call and let us know what he wanted us to do. I was feeling very discouraged and in a lot of pain. The thought of having to go through two more days of these contractions was more than I could handle!
The nurse came back in and said the doctor wanted to monitor me until he made his rounds the following morning, and then we'd decide what to do. But, as the nurse was preparing to leave the room, I felt my water break! We knew then that it was "go" time!
After that, everything was a whirlwind. Our parents got on the road to the hospital, and the nurses began prepping me for surgery. Then, at 4:58 am, our little Micah arrived into our world! He weighed 6 lbs 15 oz and was 21 inches long. He had a head full of blonde hair. In fact, the nursery workers called him the "beauty boy" of the nursery! :)




Our parents made it in about 30 minutes after Micah was born, and they were able to see him get his first bath. Madi arrived a little while later and saw her baby brother for the first time.

They quickly got me settled in my room and I was able to nurse and cuddle with my precious boy for the first time. Such a special moment!

Even though his arrival didn't happen exactly as we had planned, we wouldn't change anything for the world! We are so blessed to have two happy, healthy children. There is definitely some adjusting going on around our house, but things overall are going very smoothly! We are just thanking God for His many blessings!

2 comments:

Ashley & Chuck said...

He is a beauty! I'm so glad to finally see more pictures of that precious boy! So happy for you all. Love you lots!

Neena said...

What a wonderful day, getting to welcome our first precious little grandson into the world!! Isn't it a miracle how you can just get one little look at a new born baby and fall head over heels in love at first sight!!